Aaron (coprock) wrote,

Some folks have it worse

So, I'm still in Minnesota.

I went to work today then came home so that monstersocks could take me to the airport for my supposed flight to Tennessee. Weather here was fine (if bitterly cold), weather there was fine. We got to the airport around 5pm or so and I checked in. For some reason I couldn't check in at the automated kiosks and had to wait for an actual agent but there didn't seem to be any problem at that point. I went through security and headed to my gate. (On the way there I was stopped by a woman I went to high school with who recognized me as my brother's brother. Apparently she lives in Minneapolis but I guess we didn't talk enough at the reunion for me to find out she also lives in the Twin Cities.) Anyway, they eventually moved my flight down two gates so I headed over there and waited. And waited. They eventually announced that due to the weather in other parts of the company there was a delay in the arrival of our plane. So we waited. Eventually the plane showed up and we were told our luggage had been loaded but now we were waiting for the crew to arrive. The gate agents wandered off to handle other problems but after a while a pilot or co-pilot showed up and tried to figure out what was going on. He told us the flight would leave once the rest of the crew arrived.

And we waited. After a couple of hours without the gate agent a woman announced that she'd called the 800 number and been told the flight was cancelled. I tried to make some calls but kept being told that due to call volume my call couldn't be handled and was disconnected. Twenty minutes later a guy (possibly with Northwest) came by and announced that people waiting for my flight should go to two other gates for rescheduling. I went over and waited another twenty minutes in line behind a couple traveling with a total of seven people who got rescheduled through florida and dc and hotel vouchers. I finally got up to the counter and was rescheduled for tomorrow's same flight, getting into Tennessee around 10pm christmas eve. I was pretty pissed off about the whole thing (getting stuck here and also how poorly nwa handled it, never officially announcing that the flight was cancelled) but I stayed polite to the gate agents. I knew they had nothing to do with it, it was the management's fault for not having decent amounts of staff on hand to handle the holiday travel and weather issues. I did get a voucher for a taxi ride back to the apartment so that monstersocks wouldn't have to come out and pick me up.

So, I spent seven hours at the airport tonight without getting anywhere. (My brother is currently stuck in Chicago because his first flight was delayed but somehow the second wasn't so he missed it.) I'll be sleeping in tomorrow and then getting another ride out to the airport from monstersocks.

Still pretty angry but I think the best thing to do is just to get plenty of sleep tonight and hope that tomorrow's journey works out a bit better.

  • One or two new things

    Hello again. It's been a little while since I rapped at ya. My son Max was born in 2012. Married monstersocks back in '11. Stuck with…

  • Irish Taco

    Thanks to the internet I finally know what an irish taco is. Fritos, covered in chili with sour cream, sliced tomatoes and green onions.…

  • Reunion 2010

    Pictures: 2010 Reunion Pictures The Super Buffet at Big V's

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.